Weight loss supplements - Do they work and for who?

The proven ways to lose weight and keep it off are eating healthy, cutting calories and sugar intake and being physically active.  But this is not always easy.  Perhaps you have thought about using weight loss supplements to aid your weight loss or to help give you a kick start.  Although weight loss supplements may help, they are not meant for everyone (despite what they advertise).  Here are some research I have found about weight loss supplements and my personal experience.


Financial Tribune /

What are weight loss supplements?

Weight loss supplements are dietary supplements added to your daily diet to help you lose weight.  They often contain a variety of ingredients which includes herbs, fiber and minerals.  More common ingredients are traditional Chinese medicine and green tea extracts.  Dietary supplements that claim to help weight loss often claim a variety of ways to do so, such as speeding your metabolism, breaking down fat, increasing your fat burn, reducing your appetite and curbing hunger pangs and cravings.


Who are weight loss supplements made for?

Weight loss supplements are found for any person, of any age, with any chronic disease, including diabetics and the elderly.  However, this does not mean that it is safe for you to use.  Some common ingredients used in these supplements have been found to be harmful and may even interfere/interact with other medicines.  Another concern is that weight loss supplements do not need to be monitored by any health organisation, nor are any standards for other medicines applied to them.  Because of this you can never be sure how safe the medicine actually is.


Do weight loss supplements actually work?

There is not a lot of research that proves that these supplements and ingredients are actually effective in helping weight loss.  There are a variety of personal reviews online, some people say that weight loss supplements helped them lose weight and others say they saw no change.  Some people have had severe reactions to certain ingredients and others none at all.  Many weight loss supplements do work, but more because of the healthy diet plans and exercise ideas that come along with them than the actual ingredients themselves. 

But, there are a few proved ingredients that may aid weight loss, including:


  • Green tea extract - The main antioxidant in it, EGCG, has proved to aid weight loss.  It increases the activity of norepinephrine, a hormone that helps you burn fat.  Studies show that it can increase fat burning and cause weight loss, especially around your belly.
  • Glucomannan - A type of fiber that absorbs water, becomes like a gel and sits in your gut giving you a feeling of fullness which helps you to eat fewer calories.  Studies show that when it is combined with a healthy diet it can help you lose 3.6-4.5kg (8-10 pounds) in 5 weeks and improve many health concerns.
  • Garcinia Cambogia Extract - Garcinia cambogia is a small green fruit shaped like a pumpkin.  The skin contains hydroxycitric acid (HCA) which is the active ingredient in the extract.  Studies show that it can cause weight loss of 0.88kg (about 2 pounds) over several weeks.  Although a good choice as it has no side effects, the weight loss is very likely to be too small to even notice.
  • Orlistat - A weight loss pill that works by inhibiting the breakdown of fat in the gut, helping you take in fewer calories from fat.  Studies show that it can increase weight loss by 2.7kg (6 pounds).  It is sold over the counter under the name of Alli and under prescription as Xenical.  Although is is proven as a good aid in weight loss, there are some very unpleasant proven side effects.   

Are weight loss supplements an option for me?

Before choosing a weight loss supplement it is advised that you speak to your healthcare provider, such as your house doctor or pharmacist, before you use any dietary supplements.  This is especially so for any person with a chronic condition and taking chronic medication.

Even though there are not a lot of studies showing that weight loss supplements may work, if you have a look at the ingredients and do some research on your own about the product (or speak to your pharmacist about it) you may find one that works for you.  However, weight loss supplements should always be used on a short term basis as long term use of many of the ingredients can lead to worsened health and you might become dependent on it.


Conclusion:

I think that the use of dietary supplements to aid weight loss is just as personal and individual as your weight loss journey.  Just as there is no wonder pill, there is no wonder food or wonder exercise that will make you instantly lose weight.  Losing weight, and keeping it off, is a matter of living a healthy lifestyle and being physically active.  Just like there are certain types of exercises and certain types of foods that aid weight loss more than others, there are certain weight loss supplement ingredients that aid weight loss more than others.  I believe that not everyone will necessarily find a weight loss supplement that works for them, nor will one weight loss supplement work for everybody. 

The key is to find what works for you.  But this is not an easy process.


My advice:
  • Start off by changing your lifestyle - eat healthy and exercise regularly.  Healthy eating and regular exercise is key to losing weight, no matter what weight loss supplement you use. 
  • First see if you will lose weight just with the lifestyle changes you made before you consider taking a weight loss supplement.  Since weight loss supplements have very little effect on improving your health, don't take it if you don't need it. 
  • Do your research on weight loss supplements and speak to your pharmacist before you buy it.  Also try to determine whether you actually need it before you take it and if you do, try to take the smallest amount you can to use as a trial.  If you see a difference, you can always go back and buy some more. 
  • Find support groups online.  This is important to help you stay on track and persevere when you have rough days.  You will most likely also find others sharing their advice and tips on social media, which might just work for you.
  • When you have found what works for you, stick with it.  Even though you may be tempted to try the new supplements on the market, or a diet that is all the crave right now, it is not worth the risk of losing the progress you have made thus far.
  • When you have reached your goal weight, leave the supplements.  You no longer need them.

The weight loss supplements that I use:

I drink Herbex products to help me lose weight: Herbex Attack the Fat tablets, Attack the Fat tea and Booster Eat-less drops.  These come as part of their Attack the Fat complete pack,which also includes two meal plans.  I only intend on using this for about 1 month to help kick start my weight loss journey.

I plan to then use Herbex Booster Fat-burn drops on a daily basis until I have reached my goal weight.  I have used this product briefly before I was pregnant and it helped me back then.


Why I decided to use weight loss supplements:

I made my lifestyle changes already in January this year and although I saw some weight loss (1kg a week), I would gain it again as soon as I have one bite of chocolate or miss one exercise.  This seesaw weight loss journey discouraged me and I found it very hard to stick with my weight loss plan.  Eventually I got tired of this and decided to do some research on weight loss supplements and decided to try the Attack the Fact complete pack.  Since it is a 10-day use it gives me enough time to judge its effectiveness and monitor any side effects.  


How Herbex works for me:

I am happy to report that I have had no side effects at all.  In fact, there has been some positive results that I did not even expect.
  • I have lost 3 kg (6.6 pounds) in 2 weeks since starting to use Herbex with only minor changes to my diet and lifestyle from my earlier changes this year.
  • I was previously unable to digest fiber and eating fruits and vegetables gave me stomach-flu like symptoms.  Since drinking Herbex this is no longer a problem. (Why I don't know, this is just a great plus)
  • I can now go for longer periods of time (3+ hours after meals compared to 1-2 hours previously) without food before my stomach starts grumbling.
  • I have already adjusted to new tastes and find unhealthy foods, such as chocolate, rich sauces and starches nauseating.
  • I have more energy and feel good about myself, which is giving my self confidence a boost.

Whether you are struggling to lose weight or looking for a jump-start, weight loss supplements might be for you.  Please do your research and speak to your pharmacist before starting any new dietary supplements and only use them short-term until you reach your goal weight.  

Good luck with your weight loss journey!!

♥ Michelle Smillie ♥ 
Let life be, let love in


External sources consulted:
Healthline



P.S. Follow me on Bloglovin: Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Comments

Popular Posts